Suicide Care for Chiropractors:
Creating Connection and Hope - 3 CEs
Presented by: Jeffrey Sung, M.D and R. Keith Myers, LICSW
When: Friday, October 9th, 2015 • 1:00pm - 4:00pm, 3 CEs
Where: Hilton Seattle Airport & Conference Center
17620 International Blvd ▪ Seattle, WA 98188 • 206.244.4800
Registration Fee: $129 per DC • *WSCA Member Discount Rate: $89
Registration Fee: $129
*WSCA Member Discount Rate: $89
Tailored for Those Who Provide Chiropractic Care
This interactive 3-hour workshop will teach chiropractors practical tools for assessing and referring patients at risk of suicide. The workshop is presented by two mental health professionals with over 40 cumulative years working with suicidal patients. You will leave with a practical knowledge of:
- Basic information about suicide in the United States
- How to recognize warning signs of suicide
- How to make a connection with someone at risk of suicide
- How to assess for suicide risk
- How to recognize and manage your own emotional responses when talking with suicidal patients
- Common problems that arise when referring suicidal patients.
- How to confidently refer patients to mental health professionals.
This Workshop Will Help You Do What is Best
for Your Patients and the Community
Workshop topics include:
- Establishing an alliance with patients: Suicidal patients typically have ambivalence about death. Specific techniques may help the practitioner join with the part of the patient that desires to live and make a plan to seek help.
- Conducting a risk assessment: Suicide risk assessment involves gathering accurate information regarding the risk factors, protective factors and warning signs of suicide.
- Managing personal responses: Work with suicidal patients elicits emotional responses in the practitioner that must be understood and managed for effective work to proceed.
- Proper Referral Techniques: Proper sequencing of the referral process increases the likelihood the patient will follow through with a referral
This workshop meets the requirement for Washington State licensed chiropractors to obtain three CE hours in suicide screening and referral. The Washington State Chiropractic Association has partnered with Wellspring Counseling to offer workshops designed to build confidence in working with suicidal patients and to meet the requirement of the law.